Quick and Dirty Things
I find a lot of solutions to problems that don’t necessarily warrant a full blog post. Here’s where they end up so others searching for answers can find them.
Error when trying to print with lpr
When trying to print (on a recently setup Debian Linux box) from the command line with “lpr file-to-print.txt” I received the following error: “lpr: Error – no default destination available.” A simple fix was to load up CUPS (http://hostname:631), go to Manage Printers, and set a default printer.
OS X Dock not centered
I checked out DockSpaces and then realized it’s not really going to be useful to me. For some reason it changed my dock so that it was down in the corner on the left side, rather than centered on the left like I have it. In order to reset it I had to drop to Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning middle; killall Dock
White Page of Death
Ever move WordPress to a new server and then all you can get is a white page when you try to load the site? Chances are you had WP Super Cache installed because it’s awesome. Try removing the WP Super Cache plugin and clean up any leftover files from it. From the WP Super Cache plugin info:
1. Turn off caching on the plugin settings page and clear the cache.
2. Deactivate the plugin on the plugins page.
3. Remove the WP_CACHE define from wp-config.php. It looks like define( ‘WP_CACHE’, true );
4. Remove the Super Cache mod_rewrite rules from your .htaccess file.
5. Remove the files wp-content/advanced-cache.php and wp-content/wp-cache-config.php
6. Remove the directory wp-content/cache/
7. Remove the directory wp-super-cache from your plugins directory